Our History


Canterbury has evolved tremendously with the changing of the times, however, the core and history of tradition on which Canterbury is based has not changed.

In the fall of 1914, Nelson Hume began work towards founding a Catholic school for boys. From the beginning, he and the co-founders believed it important that their new school be led by lay Catholics, a radical idea at the time, and that the School’s graduates could enter any college or university, not just Catholic colleges. The Catholic faith was an integral part of the School culture, but the intent of its founders was to prepare Catholic boys for a pluralistic society. Becoming coeducational in the early 70’s changed the culture of the School but did not affect its original mission of being Catholic and independent.



The First Century

Not only was Dr. Nelson Hume the first headmaster, but he also served as teacher, coach, advisor, theater director, and spiritual role model to the boys of Canterbury. His model is one that our faculty continue to uphold in their multi-faceted roles as teachers, dorm parents, coaches, mentors, and more.


The Canterbury Medal


Service    •    Dedication   •   Loyalty

Instituted in 1994, The Canterbury Medal honors an individual or group who has demonstrated unparalleled devotion to Canterbury School. By awarding the medal, the School honors the individual or group for extraordinary efforts in advancing the mission of the School.