Curtain Calls & Cocktails
The Final Bow: A Farewell to the Dreekes
Friday, June 8 | 8:00 PM
The Canterbury stage is calling all alumni to a one-night-only performance. This year we celebrate Maddie and Robin Dreeke who are retiring after 28 years of teaching and nurturing the talents of Canterbury students. To show our appreciation (and flare for the dramatic), alumni will perform a cabaret-style show—musical numbers, scenes, and personal monologues interspersed with videos from far-flung alumni—themed after Canterbury, the drama program, and the Dreekes. We are raising $28,000 for a donation of theatrical equipment in the Dreekes’ name to the renovations of Maguire Auditorium.
All alumni are encouraged to attend or perform as Curtain Calls & Cocktails is set to be a night of heart-felt performances and nostalgia as we witness the end of an era. If you cannot attend and would like to participate, please submit a quick thank you video to be played during the performance.
Please note that the performance is not suitable for children. Childcare is available from 5:00 to 11:00 PM on Friday evening. Children must be pre-registered; $25 per child. Register your child(ren) during the online registration process.
The curtain goes up at 8:00 PM!
How to Get Involved
This event is taking place during Alumni Weekend. Please take a look at the schedule and consider joining us for any or all of the weekend festivities. If you are only able to come back for the performance, please know that all are welcome for dinner before the show. Pre-registration is required.
If you can’t make it to the event, we are putting together a video of alumni all over the world—a collection of stories about the Dreekes and how they affected and helped your lives. Your video submission can be anything from a thank you for the lessons learned at Canterbury to a story of the Dreekes and how they helped you get where you are today.Guidelines:
- Film in a quiet, well-lit area.
- Keep it brief. Aim for a minute or under.
- Start your video by saying your name, spelling your name, and tell us your class year. This is just to help our editors.
- Smartphone, digital camera, or computer with webcam will do.
- Make sure to add a sound bite! (Example: Thank you, Mrs. Dreeke!)
Deadline for submissions: March 23
All submissions should be sent to
Ken Mard '99
Have a song, speech, scene, or monologue to perform? Let us know what it is so we can slate it in the show. We highly encourage working together with your classmates.Guidelines:
- You must be on campus and check in at the theater by Friday, June 8 at 4 p.m. This is for you, the tech crew, and our producers/directors’ blood pressure.
- The stage will be available Thursday, June 7 all day, and Friday, June 8 until 4pm for rehearsals, sound check, and reminiscing. A sign-up for time slots will be sent to participants in advance.
- There is no need to be off-book. Scripts, notes, and scribbles on body parts are completely acceptable.
- Each performer is responsible to bring any props and/or costumes. (Both are highly encouraged, by the way.)
- Please submit any technical/musical needs. We will assume everyone needs sound and basic lighting.
All submissions should be sent to Rachel (Kenney) Koelzer '98.